Can't Afford Time Off Work To Help An Ill Parent Recuperate? What Are Your Options?

Posted on: 6 February 2017

If your elderly parent has recently had a fall or suffered from an illness like pneumonia that requires a lengthy recovery time, you may be wondering how you can help your parent recuperate without missing days of work. Even in jobs protected under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), taking time off work may be impossible with your current workload or financial situation, particularly with the number of companies that don't offer extended sick or vacation leave. What are some ways you can help attend to your parent's needs while still maintaining a presence on the job? Read on to learn more about the in-home care and assistance available to help you maintain your job status while nursing your parent back to health.

What in-home care options are available? 

There are two primary types of in-home care available, although the extent of care provided can depend on your parent's specific needs. One type is in-home nursing care, which can be covered by Medicare benefits in most cases. This is skilled nursing care that involves some type of medical need, like administering medication, taking vital signs, or changing bandages or wound dressings -- an in-home nurse won't provide hours of monitoring or attend to personal needs like using the restroom (unless this is a situation that requires medical intervention), bathing, or feeding.

Another type of in-home care is non-nursing in nature, and will require a worker to spend a shift with your parent, helping him or her use the restroom (or changing adult diapers), assisting with meal time, and attending to other personal needs. These caregivers can often be used in conjunction with an in-home skilled nurse to ensure your parent is safe and healthy in your home, even when you're not able to be there yourself.

What are your options if your parent needs more care than you and an in-home caregiver can provide? 

In some situations, your parent's medical and personal needs may simply exceed your ability to provide care (or exhaust your financial resources in the process). If your parent needs round-the-clock care or is likely to take a turn for the worse if prompt attendance to needs isn't provided, it's likely he or she will be able to spend some time in a short-term rehabilitation facility, fully or at least mostly covered by Medicare benefits. This rehab facility can provide the 24/7 attention your parent needs without breaking the bank for you or requiring you to serve as primary caregiver while also working full-time.

For more information on home care assistance, contact a company like Queen City Home Care.